- Keep every receipt. Claim everything against tax and make sure you get paid.
- The business is full of sharks. You have been warned.
- Get a great portfolio, keep it up to date and never let it gather dust.
- It's good to know how to make beautiful prints, but only so you can tell your printer where he's going wrong.
- A distinctive style is good, just as long as it doesn't go out of fashion.
- Spend as much time looking at other people's work as you do fretting about your own.
- Only buy enough equipment to do the bread and butter jobs. Renting makes sense.
- Whilst it might seem a privilege to make your living in such a wonderful job, you still have to pay the bills.
- It's not good enough to take good photographs most of the time, you have to take great ones all of the time to survive
- Never take advice on photography from someone who tells you that there is only one way to do something!!
If a more or less random snapshot is like an infinitely fine scale that has been scratched from the surface of reality with the tip of a finger, then in comparision the photoseries or photomontage lets us experience the extended massiveness of reality, its authentic meaning. We build systematically. We must also photograph systematically. Sequence and long-term photographic observation--that is the method.